Field Notes End Papers Limited Edition
Field Notes takes a step towards the classic and the literary with the new End Papers Limited Edition, featuring marbled inner covers inspired by 19th century hardcover book design. Each set consists of two 3 1/2" by 7" 68 page sewn-bound notepads, one in Timber Green and the other in Nightshift Blue.
Inside pages are Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T Pure White. Right-hand pages are ruled with Mist Gray soy-based Saphira ink, while the left-hand verso pages are blank. We are an authorized Field Notes retailer.
ReviewsSubmit a Review
There are currently no reviews for this product.
Field Notes has a way of writing about their own products unlike that of any other manufactuer we know - here are their own words about the End Papers Limited Edition:
A slim profile. Perfectly simple, sturdy covers. Vintage marbled end papers. High-quality paper stock. Sewn-in-signature binding. These 68-page journals are just the place for a life-list, a collection of ideas, or the outline of that project you’ve been waiting to start. You know the one.
The “End Papers” Edition feels a bit more permanent than a simple use-and-abuse Memo Book; it’s our classic and practical take on a personal journal. They are Field Notes, however, so please, let’s not call them “fancy.”
Like many of our Quarterly Editions, this 40th design of the series started with some research into a little corner of publishing history. Paper marbling is a creative, dynamic craft that has been practiced for centuries. It has most often been used for producing singular and abstract patterns to adorn the end papers of hand-bound, hard cover books. (End papers serve as a means to attach a “block” of pages to a book’s cover.) We’ve carefully reproduced two 19th Century examples for this release.
The marbled papers reproduced in this edition come from the University of Washington Collection; the green book features a “Schrottel” pattern, while the blue book features an “Antique Straight” pattern.
64 pages of Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White” are Smyth-sewn in signatures, then glued into the covers, like our “Dime Novel” and “Signature” editions. Our end papers are more decorative than structural, but they give the books a timeless, traditional look: subdued on the outside with a bit of classic personality inside.
The body pages are ruled in “Mist Gray” on the right-hand page (“recto,” if you’ll allow us to flaunt a bit more bindery jargon) and blank on the left (“verso”) side. While useful for pretty much anything, these sturdier, more permanent books are a great personal place to catalog all the Carivaggios you have seen, the ballparks you have visited, wines you have uncorked, Wilco sets you have heard, vegetables you have harvested, or even all the Field Notes Quarterly Editions you have acquired.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Paper 100#C “Timber Green” and “Nightshift Blue” with a tinted varnish, debossed by Nu Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
- 03. Endpaper patterns reproduced in process color on Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White,” with permission of the University of Washington Collection of Marbled Papers: (Green) Vintage 19th c. marbled paper, Schrottel pattern UW 39509, Z271.3 M37 U56 1700. (Blue) Vintage 19th c. marbled paper, Antique straight pattern UW 39508, Z271.3 M37 U56 1700.
- 04. Innards: Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T “Pure White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Mist Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
- 05. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 06. Bound with Coats Dual Duty C8167 “Natural” thread on a Smyth Freccia sewsing machine and Muller Martini Norm binder at Harris Bindery, Downers Grove, Ill.
- 07. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 08. Ruled lines (right-hand pages): 1/4" (6.5mm).
- 09. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 7" (89mm × 178mm).
- 10. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 11. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 12. FNC-40 UPC: 858493003738